Poonam Kaur is the Managing Director of fds Director Services, which consists of: fds Corporate Finance, a boutique corporate finance house, fds Knowledge, a bespoke director level training company, fds Group, a business consultancy and advisory service and fds Business Document Design.
Poonam is the lead in operations at fds, she oversees all employees and manages all projects and transactions of Corporate Finance on a day to day basis. She is also a huge support and contributor of the strategic plans of the company. Poonam has been the lead negotiator on many deals since she started with the company just over three years ago, and has successfully conducted a number of transactions, of varying size up to £15m.
Within three years at fds Poonam was promoted from Senior Corporate Finance Executive to Managing Director in January 2015. Poonam’s drive and passion to develop fds has resulted in expanding the team by 300% over recent years, by employing recent graduates and taking on young apprentices, the majority of whom are employed from the local district.
Poonam’s commitment, dedication, hard work and ambitious attitude has deservingly been recognised in the business society. Poonam has been listed as one of Insider’s 2015 42 under forty two, and has been nominated for the Rising Star First Women Award and also was nominated for the prestigious IoD Director of the Year Award in 2015, this is a great recognition of Poonam’s contribution throughout her professional career.
Achievement Highlights at fds
- Shortlisted in the Rising Star category First Women Award (2015)
- Fds team shortlisted for Super Staff Award BiY Inspired Awards for (2015)
- Committee Member for IoD Yorkshire
- Nominated for IoD Director of the Year Awards (2015)
- Selected as Business Insiders 42 under 42 Class of 2015
- Promoted to Managing Director within three years, at the age of 32
- Treasurer of Wakefield First Bondholders Steering Group
Poonam trained and qualified as an accountant with Clough & Company LLP, starting from a Junior position and working her way up to become a Senior Auditor.
- Audit senior predominately on small/medium size Limited companies and Limited Liability Partnerships, including a commercial vehicle retailing group, with turnover in excess of £25m.
- Completed the audit and audit exempts of a group of 13 companies that are owned and managed by the same directors, including 9 Limited Liability Partnerships and two small groups. Fees in excess of £30,000.
- Management accountant for prestigious client of 5 companies. Including Bookkeeping, preparing VAT returns and production of management accounts using clients accounting package. (Sage line 50).
- Selected to run the audits for highly prestigious clients within the firm.
- Received consistently good appraisals.
- Detecting weaknesses within client’s systems, highlighted technical audit issues and displayed professional scepticism.
- Given the task to implement procedures into the practice to ensure a consistent and technical approach in the preparation of Limited Liability Partnership’s on the accounts system.
- Improving audit efficiency by improving the audit approach in order to reduce tests of detail or ‘over auditing’. Questioning the rationale behind testing and discussing with the manager at an early stage.
- Chosen to attend a business and enterprise event at Bradford College, to discuss Accountancy.
Carried out full audits in all areas.
“Jo, Poonam and the team worked incredibly hard with a tight deadline and their professionalism was exemplary. Completing before Christmas was key for us and to achieve this, for a sale price we were happy with was a great achievement”
Gulliver Hill | Agent Orange
“I just wanted to personally thank you for all your excellent input and work on this deal! Tenacious would be an understatement! Simply excellent and boy are you determined! Resulting in the very best results! Just what the doctor ordered!”
James Moss | Curzon
“On reflection, and having listened to what you said yesterday, I would like you to add a ten per cent performance bonus to this invoice. This is specifically to reflect my gratitude to you and the lovely way in which you have supported me over these past few weeks. I have always known that Jo had my back – but to have your unswerving support on this too has been very important – both to me and to Maria.”
Catherine Toole | Sticky Content
“It’s been so great all working together and only yesterday I told Poonam that I would miss our chats. As the true professional she is, her comment was that I need to get on with selling another business. I must say Jo, that I think Poonam is a very good addition to your team and I sincerely hope it is all working well for you”
Nigel Bass | Nabco